The wonderful plant teacher and medicine Guayusa.
A 80g *refill pouch* will produce around a whopping 160-320 cups and it fits through your letterbox!
The benefits of Guayusa are impressive;
- The average cup of brewed Ecuatea contains almost as much caffeine as coffee (this leaf is second only to coffee for its caffeine content) but it is delivered in a completely different way.
- THREE STIMULANTS combined with very high levels of a relaxing compound called L-Theanine means you get a gentle, natural boost.
- It doesn’t hit your adrenals like coffee or energy drinks do – you feel naturally alert rather than forcibly stimulated which means you don’t get the overcaffeinated jitters or shakes, no tummy problems and rushing to the bathroom. You are gently supported by the tea into a state of pleasant wakefulness and as its leaves your system (around 4hours+) there is no caffeine crash and you get all of this without the bitterness of tannins (which also reduce iron absorption) in a foolproof, robust leaf that can survive even the most brewing abuse!
There is now evidence to support the sustained energy release claims of Guayusa. It has high levels of antioxidants, including catechins, which are reported to fight cancer and increase metabolism, and chlorogenic acids, which can aid in weight loss by slowing the uptake of glucose from the intestines.
Endurance. The chemical compounds and nutrients in Guayusa can affect your metabolism to make your body use carbohydrates more efficiently.
This means you’ll get more energy from the food you eat. You’ll also burn more of the calories your body has stored in fat cells as fuel when you drink it regularly.
Regular Guayusa consumption can also help keep lactic acid from building up in your muscles so you can decrease post workout soreness and cut your recovery time.
Used as part of a lifestyle that includes a healthy diet and exercise, Guayusa has stimulant qualities that help you feel full sooner after you begin eating, and it slows your digestion so that your stomach stays full longer. Combining Guayusa with a healthy diet and regular exercise can not only help boost your metabolism to burn more calories, it can also help you eat less by having the effect of reducing your appetite.
The antioxidants and amino acids present in Guayusa may help fat and cholesterol move through your bloodstream so that they don’t accumulate on artery walls.
Guayusa may also help prevent arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) and blood clots that may cause heart attack or stroke.
- The Sápara tribe traditionally use Guayusa to increase stamina on their hunting trips
- In Peru the Shipibo medicine men prescribe a fairly strong, mainly guayusa based drink to people who are suffering from trauma, as a way for them to overcome their fear.
- In the northern jungle of Ecuador, the Kichwa people, use the plant to stave off hunger, and can regularily be found to only take bundles of guayusa leaves as their sole food source.
Not just your waking life, The Night Watchman powers your dreams too.
Embraced by the indigenous tribes of the Amazon for at least a thousand years, Guayusa is known as “The Night Watchman”, and traditionally drunk around a campfire before dawn along with the other members of the tribe where they describe their dreams to each other.
Legend has it, that the tribes prayed for a plant that could help them connect to the spirits of the dream world. When they awoke in the morning, there was a guayusa plant in their hands. The brew was often drunk the night before a hunt, to encourage visions of whether it would be a successful outing and to provide energy required.
Guayusa can produce an alerted dream state that the tribes who drank it were said to be able to control their actions in the dreams, what we now call lucid dreaming.
We believe that the L-Theanine helps to keep the brain in a relaxed state that you stay asleep, while the stimulants in the tea allow your mind to become more alert and encourage the level of sleep where dreaming occurs.
The tea should be used in conjunction with other lucid dreaming techniques for maximum effect but will still likely increase the colour and vividness of your dreams, nonetheless.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)